Monday 16 August 2010

Sissinghurst

Now it's light and I can look out and see the garden all very green and leafy and nothing like the garden at Sissinghurst Castle which belongs to the National Trust in Kent. This is the view I remember from the top of the castle.


I was looking at a TV program about Virginia Woolf last night. She lived in London but had a passionate affair with Vita Sackville-West who lived at Sissinghurst and designed the iconic gardens there. Virginia sadly committed suicide in 1941 by drowning herself in the River Ouse. There was a grim image of her putting stones in her coat pockets before wading into the river. I visited Sissinghurst ages ago. What a delightful place it was and probably still is. That's what I love about the internet, you can think of a place, a person and explore all the links related to it whilst listening to some random jazz produced by by a group faintly linked to a musician mentioned on the World Service.

No comments:

Post a Comment